Prime Time! Let's talk makeup primers!
I was asked by an old school friend to give some advice on primers so here we go!
Primers have been a secret used in the industry for many years. They make foundation applications smoother, address skin concerns and make your foundation stay put! It seems that more and more women are using them and I do get asked often if they make a difference. I like to use a wall painting analogy. If you are painting a wall and use a good base coat first it really helps your chosen paint to go on smooth, evenly and look better right? The same with makeup primers for foundation. So if you want to have the best finish with your foundation with better wear they are worth the extra step. So where to start and what to try?
Makeup primers are the fastest way to make your skin visibly instantly look better. Skincare takes 28 days and a primer takes 28 seconds! I will share with you my top picks that I have tried and what makes them the best way to start your base.
1. You all know I love an SPF ( IT IS ESSENTIAL IN YOUR LIFE!) and this one is my new fave and I can’t stop raving about it! Bobbi Brown Primer Plus Protection SPF50. This product is my new love for soooooo many reasons, it contains an SPF 50 that for me is an essential part of my daily routine, yes daily. This primer also makes my skin look so smooth and perfected that I don’t wear a foundation at the weekends when I can be more casual. Win! It really is my top pick.
2. Tom Ford Illuminating Primer. If you are looking for smooth glowing skin this one is for you! A little goes a long way and the optics in this give you the glow you wish you had naturally. It too dramatically smooths the skin and is the perfect base for any foundation. As an added bounus it also has skin care properties to help moisturise, plump and hydrate. This is a true skincare and primer hybrid.
3. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer. This is a award winning cult classic. It’s oil free! So for anyone with oil prone skin it’s great for you. It’s transparent in shade so also good for all skin tones. It has been around for over 10 years and really was one of the originals used on film sets, back in my film days is when I discovered it! Again it’s function is to make your base look it’s best and keep it on! This super light weight formula smooths and creates the perfect canvas.
4. Smashbox Photo Finish Iconic Primer stick. If you have an extremely oily skin, this is your jam. It is so easy to swipe in the areas where you have the excess oil problems, you can use it under or over the makeup (under first as this will stop the oil from getting to the foundation and then use after as a touch up like you would a powder). It offers 12 hour oil control and will not dry out your skin in the process. Great for portability and precision!
5. Bobbi Brown Primer Plus Hydrating 3 in 1 Spray. It smells divine! You will want to have it with you everywhere! You can use it to prime, set or refresh your makeup. To prime you spray after moisturiser and before base, to set you can use after your full face is done and you can also use it during the day to refresh. It’s so multi use! It's lightweight and great for all skin types too. A miracle in a spray bottle!
That’s my primer round up! Enjoy and let me know if you try any of them! L x